When you are pregnant, your body undergoes several physical changes, and it develops various transformations. Hence, your body needs more care and treatment throughout pregnancy to stay healthy and confident.
Standard body washes or soaps, unfortunately, may contain substances that are unsuitable for your delicate pregnant skin. Your body may react negatively to these body washes and soaps due to your hormonal and physiological shifts. That is why you have to ensure that the best body washes & soaps for pregnancy you will use are guaranteed safe and tested.
Choosing a safe body wash and soap might be confusing since there are so many selections in the market. However, in this article, I have collected the top-rated body washes and soaps that are completely safe for pregnant women. Hopefully, this will help you find a safe and effective body wash and soap during pregnancy!
Most Recommended Body Washes & Soaps for Pregnant Women
1. Baby Hair & Body Wash
The Mustela Gentle Cleansing Gel is one of the most highly recommended options as it does not contain any components that are unsafe for pregnant women. Although it is a baby body wash, it is completely safe to be used by pregnant women. I strongly recommend this for soon-to-be moms as it is one of the best body washes for pregnancy.
This hypoallergenic body wash is composed of 90% plant-based ingredients and does not contain any chemically-based soap, parabens, phthalates, or phenoxyethanol.
Additionally, this pregnancy-safe body wash is a great cleanser for dry and sensitive skin types.
This product is indeed a delightful choice for moms and can also be used as a baby wash. It is infused with Avocado Perseose, which effectively hydrates and rejuvenates the skin. This is, in my perspective, one of the most effective and dependable skincare products available in the market.
This body wash helps in preventing skin allergies. It also contains Vitamin B5, which helps in cleaning your body without stripping its natural oils. This cleansing gel is also less probable to trigger eye discomfort due to its tear-free formulation.
No strong scent in this body wash will make you feel unpleasant. Regular use of the product results in silky smooth skin. It also effectively removes dirt and dust from your skin.
The only drawback of this body wash is it contains sulfate. Over-applying this body wash to your pregnant body might cause mild skin itchiness.
- Composed of 90% plant-based ingredients
- Does not contain soap, parabens, phthalates, and phenoxyethanol
- Suitable for dry and sensitive skin types
- Contains Avocado Perseose for maximum skin hydration
- Contains Vitamin B5
- Contains sulfate
2. Earth Mama Simply Non-Scents
Since certain skin can only hang out with specific ingredients, Earth Mama developed the Simply Non-Scents Castile Baby Wash, a soothing liquid soap that’s effective, cruelty-free, and genuinely odorless. Truly, this product is among the best soaps for pregnancy.
Although it is formulated with calming calendula for snuggling infants and pregnant women, it is also a safe and hydrating hand and body wash for the whole family. There are no artificial fragrances, triclosan, phthalates, parabens, or sulfates in this product.
This castile soap is recognized for being highly effective against germs. This product has undergone dermatological testing and it is clinically proven to battle skin irritations. It is, in fact, effective and gentle on the skin and hair of babies and pregnant women. Moreover, it is suitable for all skin types since it is composed of natural herbs and oils.
This body soap is not just for babies and pregnant women, it can also be an important element in DIY household cleansers and a must-have in your cleaning supplies cabinet due to its outstanding cleaning capabilities.
The issue, however, is that it is not tear-free. This body wash can make you cry if it gets in contact with your eyes.
- Formulated with calming calendula
- Odorless and cruelty-free
- No artificial fragrances, triclosan, phthalates, parabens, or sulfates
- Highly effective against germs
- Composed of natural herbs and oils
- Not tear-free
3. Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance-Free Body Wash
This Aveeno Skin Relief Fragrance-Free Body Wash has an exceptional formulation that is packed with healing oat to help nourish your pregnancy skin without damaging your skin’s inherent moisture barrier, leaving you with soft, silky, and healthy-looking skin.
The Aveeno skin relief can help you get rid of impurities, excess sebum, and unhealthy microorganisms from your skin. It can provide immediate relief for itchy or dry skin. If you’re searching for a pregnancy-safe body cleanser, I strongly recommend this product.
This body wash is made with soothing, natural minerals that assist to keep your skin healthy. It not only gives your skin adequate nutrition, but it also makes it very firm and clean.
This product is recommended by dermatologists as a safe body wash for pregnant women. This body wash is hypoallergenic, soap-free, and dye-free, and leaves skin feeling hydrated for up to 24 hours. It’s also beneficial for someone who is dealing with allergies.
On the other hand, if your skin is hypersensitive, this might not work well with you as it contains sulfate.
- Infused with oat
- Does not damage your skin’s natural moisture barrier
- Gets rid of impurities, excess sebum, and unhealthy microorganisms
- Hypoallergenic, soap-free, and dye-free
- Contains sulfate
4. OGX Extra Creamy
Using organic skin-care products throughout pregnancy is truly ideal for an expectant mother. The natural formulation in this OGX body wash effectively cleans and nourishes your skin. It does not give you that undesirable greasy feeling.
This product also enhances skin suppleness, making you appear younger and more vibrant. During pregnancy, the ultra-hydrating formulation is gentle on your skin while delivering maximum moisture. I highly suggest using this product, especially if you constantly sweat.
This body wash has the ability to transform dull-looking, rough skin into skin that is amazingly soft and silky. Its efficacy will astound you, regardless of your skin type. Coconut oil is also a vital component of this formulation. It has been used by women for centuries as a natural moisturizer and skin protectant.
Its vanilla bean essence and quick-absorbing creamy tropical combination help to replenish moisture in dry skin. It also protects your skin from harmful bacteria thanks to the antibacterial characteristics of the product. The coconut aroma is light and not overbearing, making this body wash an exceptional selection for pregnant women.
Nonetheless, this would not be a great choice if you are not a fan of herbal scents.
- Mainly uses organic ingredients
- Does not leave a greasy feeling on your skin
- An ultra-hydrating formulation that delivers maximum skin hydration
- Protects your skin from harmful bacteria
- Suitable for all skin types
- Not ideal if you do not like herbal scents
5. Olay Ultra Moisture Body Wash
You can now effectively treat your body with the Olay Ultra Moisture body wash, which offers a relaxing, moisture-rich solution that effectively refreshes your skin. It contains avocado oil properties that leave your skin feeling nourished and refreshed. I believe it is a safe option for pregnant women with sensitive skin.
This product has a substance that can cure a variety of skin disorders while also thoroughly sanitizing your skin. The body wash contains hydrating ingredients that leave the skin feeling supple.
Moreover, it has a pleasant rose aroma that lingers for a long time. Its nourishing aspects are what set it apart from other body washes. It contains Vitamin B3 Complex, which aids in the transformation of your skin in just two weeks.
The purifying components in this body wash can eliminate all impurities and grime from your skin, giving you a clearer and healthier complexion. You may use it with confidence because it has not been tested on animals.
The disadvantage is that it requires too much water to thoroughly rinse the body wash off of your body.
- Contains Avocado oil
- Can cure a variety of skin disorders
- Thoroughly sanitizes your skin
- Contains Vitamin B3 Complex
- Eliminates all impurities and grime from your skin
- Requires too much water to thoroughly rinse it off of your body
6. Earth Mama Ginger
This Earth Mama Ginger Fresh body wash is infused with ginger, lime, and grapefruit to be refreshing and pleasant throughout pregnancy. The aroma it emits is really pleasing and will not make you feel uncomfortable. I definitely recommend this product if staying fresh and fragrant matters to you.
This delicate Castile-based liquid calendula soap is suitable for everyone, particularly pregnant women! Its naturally soothing lather truly gives an enjoyable shower experience.
This product is also prepared with organic olive oil and Shea butter, making it an excellent choice for optimally hydrating your skin. If sweating is your mortal enemy in your pregnancy journey, no doubt this body wash will keep you hydrated and fresh at all times.
You will feel safe applying this body wash all over your pregnancy body as it has no triclosan, phthalates, sulfates, and parabens. Additionally, it has undergone dermatological and clinical irritation testing.
This product does not use artificial fragrances. However, if you are fond of using a fragrance-free body wash, you may not appreciate the natural fragrance this body wash gives.
- Infused with ginger, lime, and grapefruit
- Pleasant natural fragrance
- Naturally soothing lather
- Contains organic olive oil and Shea butter
- Has no triclosan, phthalates, sulfates, and parabens
- Not fragrance-free
7. The Moms Co. Natural Body Wash
The Moms Co’s natural body wash is chemical-free that is composed of gentle cleansers and natural moisturizers that are based on coconut. These components aid in the restoration of your skin’s original balance. This is very safe for dry skin and helps give your pregnancy skin much-needed hydration.
Its organically existing Pro-Vitamin B5 promotes skin suppleness and protects against rough and flaky skin. I recommend this product to every pregnant woman who is interested in organic body washes.
This vegan body wash is perfect for expectant mothers who want to avoid dry, itchy, and stretched skin that accompanies pregnancy. This is completely safe to use both during and after pregnancy. There are no parabens, phenoxyethanol, synthetic scents, or sulfates in this organic body wash.
For sensitive skin, this body wash also acts as a powerful moisturizing body wash. It has a lovely scent thanks to the use of orange and mint essential oils. These necessary oils help with your morning nausea and improve your mood with their calming and refreshing aroma.
On the other hand, the thick lather of this body wash makes it a little difficult to spread on the skin.
- Restores skin’s original balance
- Contains Pro-Vitamin B5
- Purely vegan body wash
- Contains orange and mint essential oils
- No parabens, phenoxyethanol, synthetic scents, and sulfates
- Thick lather; a bit difficult to spread on the skin
8. Belli Skincare Pure and Pampered Body Wash
This body wash by Belli is mainly created for pregnant and nursing moms. It is indeed safe to use daily because it does not deplete natural oils. It also does not incorporate any additives that can irritate sensitive skin. There are no parabens, fragrances, or artificial dyes in this product.
The cucumber and green tea properties provide antioxidants to this body cleanser. It also contains a soothing lavender essential oil scent to keep you feeling calm and relaxed.
It has undergone allergy testing and is free of hazardous substances such as phthalates and sulfates. I think it would be a very safe alternative for expectant mothers since it is 100% vegan and gluten-free.
This organic body wash contains chamomile, lavender, and citrus, which are all beneficial for your pregnancy skin. You will not worry about using it as it is cruelty-free. It is also recommended by OB/GYN and experienced dermatologists, This product is ideal for all skin types.
However, the cream is slightly diluted, which is a disadvantage. When applied to the skin, it does not lather up properly.
- No parabens, fragrances, or artificial dyes
- Contains a soothing lavender essential oil
- Has cucumber and green tea properties
- !00% vegan and gluten-free
- OB/GYN and dermatologist-recommended
- Slightly diluted cream; does not lather up properly
9. ATTITUDE Blooming Belly
This gentle body wash by Attitude is safe to use during pregnancy because it is hypoallergenic. It helps in keeping the pH levels of your skin balanced. Plus, It provides a perfect creamy lather and a lovely aroma. Argan leaf extract is also used to boost your skin’s firmness and moisture.
This body wash is infused with plant and mineral-based properties and does not include sodium Laureth sulfate, a surfactant that has been known to cause cancer. This cleanser thoroughly refreshes your skin without harming it and removing its natural oils.
Furthermore, this product contains antioxidant-rich green leaf extract to completely hydrate and safeguard your skin. It shields your skin from contaminants that cause it to become rough and irritated. I recommend this product if you are dealing with skin rashes and impurities.
This body wash is PH-Neutral, which is a major factor. This is to maintain the delicate genital area’s balance, preventing discomfort and infection caused by excessive acidity levels.
The only problem with this product though is its slightly strong fragrance, which may not be ideal for pregnant women who easily get nauseous.
- Hypoallergenic; keeps the pH levels of your skin balanced
- Has a perfect creamy lather and a lovely aroma
- Infused with plant and mineral-based properties
- Contains antioxidant-rich green leaf extract
- Slightly strong fragrance
10. Earth Mama Calming Lavender Foaming Hand Soap
This Earth Mama’s lavender body soap is very excellent for sanitizing both hands and body. Even the most delicate pregnancy skin is moisturized since it is infused with organic rooibos, calendula, plant oils, and butter. I suggest using this product if you want to achieve that squeaky-clean skin.
This organically-made soap is a safe and moisturizing hand and body cleanser for your family as it is made with refreshing calendula for infants and expectant moms. This product is free of artificial perfumes, triclosan, phthalates, parabens, and sulfates.
Furthermore, this soap is known for being extremely efficient in eradicating bacteria. It has been dermatologically tested and has been clinically shown to help with skin infections.
You won’t have to worry about anything when you use this body soap because it’s safe for babies and pregnant women’s skin. Because it is made out of natural botanicals and oils, it is ideal for all types of skin.
On the other hand, since this soap is not tear-free, this will likely make you cry if it reaches inside your eyes.
- Excellent for sanitizing hands and body
- Infused with organic rooibos, calendula, plant oils, and butter
- Made with refreshing calendula
- Fights bacteria
- Safe for all types of skin
- Not tear-free
How Your Skin Changes During Pregnancy
Health care experts are generally unsure of some of the specific causes of some skin changes. But primarily, that is generally due to changes in hormones and blood flow, which can produce a variety of changes in your skin during pregnancy. Nonetheless, these are some of the skin changes you will notice during pregnancy:
- Skin pigmentation changes. Due to hormonal changes, the areas surrounding your nipples and the skin on your upper thighs, genitals, and neck, may darken. A black line running from your navel to your pubic bone may be seen. On your face, dark spots may also appear. Excessive sun exposure can exacerbate these dark spots. However, after the delivery, the skin usually returns to its original pigmentation after a few months.
- Enlargement of veins (varicose). Since your uterus puts more pressure on your veins, you may get bulging veins in your legs. Hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy could also have a factor. Varicose veins that form during pregnancy usually heal 3 to 12 months after childbirth without medical therapy.
- Stretch marks start to appear. Stretch marks occur as recessed stripes on the stomach, breasts, hips, thighs, and buttocks. These are prevalent throughout the second and third trimesters and are created because of skin stretching. Stretch mark prevention and treatment are claimed by certain ointments, creams, and other treatments. However, these treatments are only partly effective and will not entirely eliminate stretch marks.
- Acne growth. Acne can be a problem for some expectant mothers. Wash with a mild cleanser to get rid of acne. Make sure that the cleanser you will pick is pregnancy-safe. Constantly apply organic shampoo, avoid pinching pimples, and be cautious of what comes into contact with your skin.
Ingredients to Avoid in Pregnancy Skin Body Wash
Certain anti-aging skincare products contain retinoids, a kind of retinol that has become a gold standard thanks to its ability to cure acne and diminish fine wrinkles. Retinoids renew skin by assisting surface-level skin cells in exfoliating more quickly and increasing collagen formation.
However, higher doses of retinoids have long been associated with birth abnormalities. All retinoids should be avoided during pregnancy for this reason.
Phthalates are chemicals that destabilize endocrines, and they are often found in several beauty products. Phthalate exposure has been associated with major reproductive and hormonal abnormalities based on animal research.
Since formaldehyde is a recognized carcinogen, and according to studies, can elevate the chances of infertility and miscarriage, it is infrequently used as a preservative and cleaning agent in cosmetic products anymore.
Parabens can affect the baby’s health at any phase of development. It should also be avoided if you are planning to get pregnant. The chance of a woman becoming pregnant may be negatively affected by these substances, according to both human and animal research.
Hydroquinone is a prescription medication used to whiten or diminish skin discoloration caused by melasma and chloasma, both of which can be exacerbated by pregnancy.
Hydroquinone has no demonstrated relation to serious genetic abnormalities or negative effects. However, since your body tends to absorb a large quantity of hydroquinone, it would be better to avoid it during pregnancy.
High Dosage of Salicylic Acid
Salicylic acid, which has anti-inflammatory properties comparable to aspirin, is a traditional component used to alleviate pimples. However, a reputable study found that high-dose salicylic acid treatments, like certain exfoliators and oral medicines, must be prevented during pregnancy.
How to Use the Right Body Wash for Pregnancy
- Baths and showers should be kept warm or only slightly heated. However, you should pay attention to your body’s signals as overly hot temperatures will not be beneficial to your pregnancy.
- Apply a minimal amount of your chosen body wash all over your body. Focus on putting a little bit more amount on your body parts that are normally exposed to outdoor elements.
- Gently scrubbing away dead skin cells with a loofah or soft washcloth is highly recommended.
Tips for Skincare During Pregnancy
- To prevent your skin pigmentation from darkening significantly, use a wide spectrum of sun protection to your face every day. Make sure that the sun-protecting cream or lotion you will apply does not contain any harmful ingredients. Plus, as much as possible, stay out of the sun.
- Although gentle soap is advised during pregnancy, organic moisturizing soaps are more ideal. Avoid taking bubble baths or exfoliating your skin on an overly constant basis.
- It’s a good idea to use an organic moisturizer with sunscreen. The SPF should be 15 to 20 at least.
- Your belly requires a nourishing physiological moisturizer as well as the support of maternity panties. If these particular maternity panties are used, the splits can be reduced. To maintain your abdominal muscles strong, you must work out. However, your workouts should not be too strenuous.
- Maintain the cleanliness of your body since sweating will be your regular enemy. Take showers only once a day. Use a gentle shampoo regularly to keep your hair healthy and clean.
- If you have severe eczema, consult your doctor. You might need to use steroid creams, but only those with lower potency, as steroids can thin your skin if used excessively.
- Make sure you’re getting enough vitamins and calcium. Low calcium levels in the body might trigger or worsen psoriasis.
- Antibiotic creams, such as erythromycin or clindamycin, can be used to treat severe acne. During pregnancy, avoid using treatments that contain retinoids as they have been associated with numerous baby abnormalities.
- Should you have a fungal genital infection, avoid foods like wheat noodles and cakes or any food that contain a lot of yeast.
- Make sure you get enough rest. Sufficient exercise aids in the radiance of the skin. Sunscreen, pregnancy-safe moisturizers, and gentle cleansers should be regularly applied.
- Don’t eat as if you’re feeding two people. Later on, it may be challenging to get rid of the additional fat you have gained.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use Body Wash while Pregnant?
Yes. When you’re pregnant, your skin may be more sensitive, and you will likely experience some dry, irritated skin. Ensure that the body wash you will purchase can totally nourish, hydrate, and cleanse your skin. Also, choose products that are fragrance-free and made with natural ingredients, especially if you have sensitive skin.
On the other hand, body washes with intensive scrubbing ingredients may not be an ideal choice during pregnancy as your skin is extremely sensitive. Exfoliants can generate irritations on the skin’s surface, which can augment chemical penetration. It may be preferable to use a loofah or a soft washcloth to brush away dead skin cells to avoid problems.
Can I use lavender Body Wash while Pregnant?
Lavender is one of the most well-researched and marketed essential oils, and it is generally accessible for pregnant women to use.
According to studies, lavender is a wonderful aromatherapy treatment that promotes relaxation, especially during labor and delivery, which is a stressful time. Indeed, body washes that contain lavender are safe to be used by pregnant women.
Is Tea Tree Oil Safe for Pregnant Women?
Tea tree oil contains strong compounds that might cause inflammation and other side effects. Due to a variety of physical changes, you might be extra sensitive during pregnancy. Though tea tree oil is generally safe for you and your developing baby from the second trimester onwards, how you use it can have an impact.
Tea tree oil is indeed safe for pregnant women, according to reliable research. The ideal manner to use it, meanwhile, is based on your stage of pregnancy.
It’s also crucial to apply it exclusively on your skin, and only when diluted with a carrier oil. It is only for external uses. Additionally, tea tree oil is not known to be safe to ingest as a supplement or to utilize inside your body during pregnancy.
Is Shower Gel Safe in Pregnancy?
Shower gels are generally safe as long as they do not contain harmful ingredients, just like what I have mentioned in this article earlier. Ensure that the shower gel you will use is suitable for sensitive skin. It would be ideal if you will consider purchasing one that mainly uses organic ingredients.
Is Antibacterial Soap Safe During Pregnancy?
Other bacteria-killing compounds in antibacterial or antiseptic soaps, such as triclosan and benzalkonium chloride, might not be safe to use if you’re pregnant. It is more recommended to just apply mild soap to your hands and scrub for around 20 seconds. Every time you wash, make sure to rinse thoroughly under running water.
Use hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol that do not include chemicals like triclosan if mild soap and warm water are not accessible. Cover the areas of your hands with the sanitizer and massage them dry for around 20 seconds.
Taking maximum care of your skin is vital during pregnancy. Your skin is one of the many parts of your body that is undergoing significant changes. You might experience hormonal outbreaks, flaky and irritated skin, and other conditions.
This is why it is crucial to search for the best body washes & soaps for pregnancy that are naturally safe to keep you healthy and fresh upon the arrival of your beloved baby.
Whatever the situation may be, I hope the information provided above assists you in your quest for skincare that leaves your entire pregnancy body feeling clean and pleasant. I genuinely hope this article helps in solving your concerns while you are on your pregnancy journey.