Cool tones or warm tones, what’s your thing? Do you even know what your skin ‘undertone’ is? The natural, raw color right underneath your skin is your skin “undertone” (under-tone, that’s where the term comes from). Cool-toned skin has blue or pink undertones while warm undertones are peach, yellow, or gold.
There is a neutral territory as well, which just means that the shade beneath your skin is the same color as the surface of your skin.
Now let’s talk about how very difficult it is to find the best cool toned eyeshadow palettes as opposed to warm skin tones. The warmer color spectrum includes warm reds, rust, brown, cream, and gold. And the cool tones are cool blue, purple, pink, grey, green, and even silver and white. The latter, for some or other reason, is almost always a challenge to find.
But I don’t think you’ll feel the same way once you get through this article that reviews the best eyeshadow palette for cool skin tone.
- Cool Neutrals
- Highly pigmented, buildable, blendable
- Starter palette gets on with minimal effort
- Eyeshadow colors on the ‘cool’ and ‘warm’ side
- A little bit of shimmer on all 12 shades
- Creamy consistency suitable for layering
- Natural-looking, pigmented nude shades
- A blend of matte and shimmer shadows
- Doesn’t settle into wrinkles and fine lines
- 6 palettes (vibrant and natural colors)
- Buttery, creamy texture blends easily
- High-pigmented, high-quality eyeshadows
- Cool tones, earthy tones, and warm tones
- Richly pigmented, super blendable, and longer lasting
- Silky texture with a sparkly finish
- Intensely pigmented assortment of ‘cool’ blues + silver and bronze
- Buildable and blendable with no fallout
- Matte to satin to metallic to shimmery finish
- Talc-free, vegan, clean eyeshadow palette
- Buttery-textured Cool Nudes
- Long-lasting, long-serving colors
- Creamy, high-pigment cool-toned greys
- Color range between light neutral and dark
- No animal testing, sulfates, phthalates, or gluten
- Matte-effect eyeshadow best for aging/mature skin
- 12 very natural-looking, easy-to-apply shades
- Non-irritating and wears all day long
- Highly pigmented shades include sparkly, metallic, and matte finish
- Super-silky and ultra-velvety (applies evenly)
- Smooth blending ideal for both daily and dramatic makeup looks
Top 10 Cool Toned Eyeshadow Palettes
1. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Ultimate Eyeshadow Palette – Top Choice
- 16 highly pigmented, long-lasting shades
- Matte, satin, metallic, and shimmery finishes
- All-purpose, very wearable cool tones
- Palette is compact-sized, thus travel-friendly
- PETA-certified cruelty-free
- No ‘pop-open’ or ‘press-here-to-open’ feature
Let me just acknowledge at the beginning only that this is a very popular drugstore makeup brand. And that means full-blown affordability. And just so you know, their products are used by many professional makeup artists around the globe as well as the average consumer.
Now let’s talk about these ‘cool neutrals’ eyeshadow palette. 16 shades and each one very easily glides onto your lids. It includes a variety of finishes, such as metallic, satin, shimmery, and matte. The colors are loaded with high pigmentation, hence they can really make the eyes pop right away. And pigmented shadows are also perfect for that intense, rich smokey-eye makeup.
If your natural complexion is pale and/or fair with a pink-tinged undertone, these genuinely cool-toned colors are the most ideal in that they don’t make your skin look sickly or washed out.
No worries about buildability, blendability, or the stay-on capacity either. The palette mainly consists of greys with purple and blue undertones, along with cool-toned brown and beige.
2. Maybelline The Blushed Nudes Eyeshadow Makeup Palette
- 12 blushed nude shades for no-makeup, natural looks
- They glide on very smoothly for subtle shading
- Palette can be easily fit into a purse or bag (travel-friendly)
- Good concentration of pigments for a bolder effect
- Sponge applicators (double-ended) included
- Not the most long-lasting
- Very tiny applicators
Warm tones may be hogging all the attention, for both good and bad reasons, but fear not if you’re one of the very few looking for cool toned palettes. The latter still exists in great numbers and without even draining your wallet. So here’s another best cool toned drugstore eyeshadow palette, this one’s by Maybelline.
The brand has always prioritized both quality and affordability. And you get that even with this Blushed Nudes Eyeshadow Makeup Palette, which works the best when you wish to create a no-makeup, fresh, natural look. With cool-toned, subtle shades like tempting taupe, rose gold, blush, bold beige, etc. 12 gorgeous, pretty colors packed in a sleek, compact palette.
Be it matte finish, shimmery finish, or glitter finish, every shadow blends seamlessly and the variety of shades complement one another. Those with cool skin undertones and maybe even neutral undertones are going to love this! Just make sure you put on some concealer underneath, it helps the colors to really show up.
3. L.A. Girl Beauty Brick Eyeshadow, Nudes
- 12 natural, blendable, nude shades
- Highly pigmented, so color pay-off is high
- Smooth matte finish and dimensional sparkly finish
- Magnetic palette case
- Double-ended applicator brush + small mirror included
- Not entirely smudge-free
- Very similar colors
Nudes by L.A. Girl consist of a stunning combination of light/dark and matte/shimmery shades that are the most suitable for both your day at the office and then later for a night out. Unlike so many nude palettes out there, this one actually includes purples and pinks too. And most of these shadows are highly pigmented, thus a brighter and bolder look.
Beauty Brick Nudes Eyeshadow Palette is highly recommended for those with a lighter, cool-toned complexion. Even for women who have never bought an eyeshadow palette before, this can be great for beginners. And it doesn’t matter how old you are!
The pigmented shades of this cool toned neutral eyeshadow palette are super-wearable, blendable, and smooth. And the lasting power of all the colors is quite impressive.
4. UCANBE 6pcs Colorful Eyeshadow Palette Set
- 6 different eyeshadow palettes (15 shades in each)
- Crease-resistant and easy, smooth to put on
- Long-wearing and waterproof
- High-pigment concentration (rich color pay-off)
- Very lightweight, travel-friendly palette cases
- Too much fallout
- Neutral shadows are not very pigmented
So you’re paying just $25 for 6 palettes – Lemon Drop (neon shades), Blue Tonic (versatile blues and mints), Grape Shot (a variety of purples), Fruit Punch (dramatic candy and rainbow colors), Light Chocolate (classic mattes), and My Honey (gold neutrals).
These sets, no doubt, create both dramatic and subtle looks. And each shade complements cool skin undertones, which is not that easy to come by with most other eyeshadow palettes out there.
The buttery-smooth, velvety texture means gliding it on is a hassle-free, less time-consuming task. And it also means that the shadows are super-blendable with fantastic pay-off (hence, highly pigmented indeed).
You get all kinds of finish too – metallic, shimmery, matte, glittery, bronzed, sparkling, you name it! And every finish is long-lasting.
5. CATKIN Eyeshadow Palettes
- 9 cool and warm toned shades for all skin tones
- Intensely pigmented (just one swipe is more than enough)
- Sweat-proof, waterproof, and long-lasting
- Creamy texture easily blends/layers into the skin
- 4D embossed pattern case with HD mirror (handbag-friendly)
- If you have sensitive skin, keep away
- Glitter fallout is a nuisance
Super-pigmented eyeshadow shades by CATKIN (a renowned, affordable, and one of the leading makeup brands in China) last all day long, expect 12-hours of wear just like that (anti-sweat effect). The palette’s shimmery colors, when applied, do not look too overblown if that’s what you’re worried about.
Blue, purple, pink, and more in matte, metallic, shimmery, and satin finish are a part of the palette, which actually works for warm-toned and cool-toned skin. The rich pigments enhance the colors and the velvety, creamy texture always feels smooth and never powdery or chalky.
Also, you might want to know that this product is cruelty-free and vegan just by the way.
6. essence WATER Eyeshadow Palette
- Cool blue tones with grey and gold
- Highly pigmented, no-fallout formula glides on easily
- Blendable and buildable for all kinds of looks
- PETA-certified cruelty-free, paraben-free, gluten-free
- Fades rather quickly
- Might not suit sensitive skin
The blue color variety! If you ask me or any other makeup expert or professional makeup artist, even they’ll tell you that blue-based eyeshadow shades work so, so well with cool undertones. Unlike yellow-based colors, these cool blues don’t make your skin look drained or washed out.
On top of that, no skin irritation and no smudging. In fact, no animal testing either!
The name used for this eyeshadow palette, WATER, seems the most appropriate. Every gorgeous shade, which is densely pigmented, can be applied very easily without too much fallout.
The palette features a total of 9 shadow colors available in both shimmery and matte finish. All are wonderful shades that complement the skin and lift the eyes.
7. ILIA The Necessary Eyeshadow Palette (Cool Nude)
- 6 talc-free eyeshadow shades with a buttery texture
- The high-pigment formula makes the eyes pop instantly
- Metallic, satin, and matte finish
- Vegan, cruelty-free, gluten-free, and travel-friendly
- Seems to crease and smudge easily
If you’re really fed up with allergy-triggering eyeshadows, you may want to try this vegan, non-irritating, cruelty-free ILIA palette. There’s Warm Nude and Cool Nude. And obviously, it’s the latter I’m reviewing cause that’s the perfect choice for cool skin undertones.
The Cool Nude palette consists of shades like deep purple, pink, lavender, etc. (overall, a rose neutral palette). And the finish type is matte, metallic, and satin. And every shadow is high-pigmented, long-wearing, and can be layered very easily. It all looks very stunning and even natural on mature skin as well.
The case is extremely light and compact and packed with a large mirror. And the texture of the product is very smooth and buttery.
8. Winky Lux Galaxy Kitten Eyeshadow Palette
- Cool-toned classic greys
- Velvety, high-pigment texture (max. color pay-off)
- The eyeshadow holds up quite well
- Magnetic, compact cover has a cute, celestial-inspired print
- Free of gluten, sulfates, phthalates, and animal testing
- Some fallout is to be expected
- Starts to look muddy really fast
High-quality, super-adorable eyeshadow colors that include both dark and neutral tones with matte and shimmery effects for all kinds of occasions.
All 9 cool-toned shades (grey-based) are highly blendable, buttery, and rich. You can apply them using your eye makeup brush without having to deal with patchiness, thanks to the high pigmentation.
And just look at that celestial-inspired, eclectic, shiny, and colorful case. It’s magnetic plus there’s a large-sized mirror inside.
The cool toned palette seems to work the best for those into creating smokey eyes or other such deep and dark looks. After all, the greys are quite deep and rich.
9. Tartelette Amazonian Clay Matte Palette
- 12 neutral, warm, and mostly cool tones
- Highly pigmented (max. opacity just with one stroke)
- Smooth-textured with a ‘true’ matte effect
- Large mirror inside
- Light colors not very pigmented
The best cool toned matte eyeshadow is this Tartelette Amazonian Clay Matte Palette. You should be opting for matte-effect shadows since they’re the safer option. Matte colors add enough pigment to your lids without emphasizing wrinkles and fine lines.
These 12 light-coverage, matte-finish eyeshadow shades look superb. Neutral tones, cool tones, and warm tones are included (although there are more cool tones like purples and plums). And the texture, thank goodness, is very, very smooth. Blending the shadow into your lids is quite effortless because of the creamy consistency of the powder.
But then are Tarte eyeshadows good? The brand here has created a “true” neutral palette that seems the best for classic makeup looks. Plus, their eyeshadow palettes (limited edition) have a good amount of pigmentation, which means buildable, blendable, and maximum color pay-off.
10. Colourpop Stone Cold Fox
- Mauves, taupes, and silvers for cool skin undertones
- Matte, metallic, and glittery finish
- Subtle yet highly buildable since intensely pigmented
- A smooth, silky, velvety texture
- Large palette, thus not travel-friendly
- Lots of fallout
Now this one’s a large cool toned eyeshadow palette full of mauves, taupes, and silvers. It’s also the best cool toned brown eyeshadow palette I have ever come across. Just look at those richly pigmented, silky, and velvety colors with matte, metallic, and sparkly finish!
The shadows are long-wearing because they consist of softer powder that instantly clings onto your lids, thus creating a subtle, soft effect. Blend evenly and smoothly.
A well-known brand that knows the true meaning of neutral/natural-looking shades that glide on easily.
Choosing the Right Eyeshadow Palettes for Cool Skin Tones
1. Does the Palette Have A Variety of Shades?
Now it depends if you want an eyeshadow palette for daily wear or something a little more glamorous. Generally, eyeshadow palettes feature 4-5 varying shades of the same color (mostly, even the finish is the same). And then there are palettes with almost ALL colors and textures for the most creative or elegant makeup looks.
2. Is the Eyeshadow Long-Lasting?
Wearability is a crucial factor when choosing ANY kind of makeup. So in the case of eyeshadow, the colors better be long-lasting, along with being crease-free, smudge-free, and sweat-proof.
Speaking of which, you know what helps when it comes to making your eye makeup last for a longer time without showing creases, wrinkles, or fine lines? A lightweight, non-sticky eyeshadow primer!
Nonetheless, the eyeshadow formula should have a smooth texture for even application.
3. What Are the Color Tones of the Eyeshadow Palette?
The color range for cool skin tones must be a combination of light, medium, and dark. To be more specific, not only just gray and brown shades but also green, purple, blue, mauve, etc.
The thing about an eyeshadow palette is that it only contains about 3-5 colors. And if not that, the other option is more than 35 shades or more in a single palette.
Now, those who have a cool skin undertone are actually very resistant to cool toned eyeshadows since these colors can make you look a bit dull, flat, and lifeless. Hence, experimenting with different shades suitable for cool skin tones is a MUST.
4. Does the Eyeshadow Have High Pigmentation?
With high pigmentation, you don’t have to worry about wearability (so no touch-ups during the day if the eyeshadow palette has high pigmentation). This also makes the makeup on your eyes look more attractive and enhances the shape and overall appearance of the eyes.
5. Is the Eyeshadow Easily Blendable?
The one major complaint women have when using cool toned eyeshadows is that these colors (blue, purple, and the like) are not easy to blend into the skin. In comparison to warm shades, cool tone formulas are quite challenging as far as blending correctly is concerned. So make sure that you pick a palette that’s not as difficult.
Cool tones are NOT supposed to look that lifeless or flat. And one way to perk up blendability is by choosing high-quality, creamy eyeshadows.
Which Eyeshadow Colors Suit Cool-Toned Skin?
If your clothing is picked out based on your natural skin tone, then why not your eye makeup!
In that case, shades like rosy pink, emerald green, cool lavender, ice blue, pink-hued red (much like raspberry), true white, grey, and basically just ‘cool’ colors of the spectrum work for cool skin undertones.
What Eyeshadow Colors Do Not Suit Cool Skin Undertones?
It all depends on the ‘warmth’ or ‘coolness’ of the eyeshadow shade. Also, there’s no definitive color or colors that DON’T look good. As I said, the whole thing is based on how cool or warm the shade is. In actuality, there’s almost always some version of every color that suits cool-toned or warm-toned skin.
But generally speaking, women with cool skin undertones stay away from warm reds, warm browns, warm oranges, and the same. Instead, they choose red with a pink or blue tinge, true white, taupe, and sometimes even neon or bright orange.
How Long Do Eyeshadow Palettes Generally Last?
At least 2 years after you open it. But if you take hygiene and skincare into consideration, then 1 year is enough time for using the same eyeshadow palette.
As for the expiration time, that would be 2-3 years after you open the palette.
How to Clean Eyeshadow Palette?
The cleaning part is actually very easy. You just have to skim that top layer using tissue paper. Then sprinkle or spray a little bit of rubbing alcohol, let the surface dry up, and that’s about it. Don’t worry, no harm done here except for the killing of germs.
Can Cool Skin Undertones Choose Warm Eyeshadow?
To be completely honest with you, your eyeshadow colors can be ‘warm’ as long as you pick those that look flattering on your cool skin tone. Much in the same way, those with warm skin undertones will be able to pull off cool toned eyeshadow if they do it right.
Wrapping It Up…
Surely not a walk in the park finding something specific for your cool-toned skin. Because it’s more likely that you don’t want shades like warm red, brown, and gold. But then there are plenty of different options too, it’s all a matter of sifting through them to get to the most flattering and buttery eyeshadow palettes.
Fortunately enough, there are quite a few high-quality drugstore brands as well perfect for women who don’t want to spend a full month’s rent on buying “eyeshadow.” And lucky for you, I have shortlisted these affordable drugstore brands along with professional makeup brands. And some of them are also vegan and cruelty-free!