It really does take a considerable amount of effort and time for perfecting eye makeup, so that eyeshadow better last for more than just a few hours. But then what you wish for doesn’t just come true automatically, you have to put in effort and time to figure out that solution too.
So if your eyelids look naturally glossy, and that’s just a euphemism for slick and oily, then applying primer under shadow is a must. More specifically, applying the best eyeshadow primer for oily lids is a crucial part of your eye makeup routine.
These eyeshadow primers are specially formulated, so they prevent your shadow color from fading, creasing, budging, etc. because of oily lids or watery eyes. And I have included both high-end and drugstore brands to maintain the balance between expensive and affordable makeup. The list also includes primers that make your eyeshadow colors really pop!
- Weightless, non-greasy texture
- Long-lasting base with no fading, creasing
- Evens out skin tone to prep the eyelids
- Prime Plus Matte creates a smooth base
- Extends eyeshadow color pay-off
- Even, precise application with soft sponge applicator
- Non-greasy, non-drying formula
- Crease-proof, 24-hour wear
- Shea butter complex to soften and hydrate
- Quick-drying primer with smoothing ingredients
- Light reflective properties enhance eyeshadow
- No creasing/fading and stays put for hours
- Pale nude, creamy, shimmery primer
- Crease-free, fade-free polymer technology
- Cruelty-free, vegan formula
- Crease-resistant eyeshadow primer
- Just a small dab for all-day wear
- Goes on very smoothly and enhances color vibrancy
- Super-pigmented, easy-to-blend eye primer
- Oil-free with polymer technology for crease resistance
- Hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, waterproof
- Vegan, talc-free primer keeps oil under control
- Ultra-blendable with a smooth and lightweight texture
- Natural flower extracts and botanicals for skin nourishment
- Matte, creamy primer for a long-lasting base
- Oil-free, waterproof, and smudge-free
- Moisturizing properties, thus best for mature skin
- Matte primer works like a concealer
- Intensifies eyeshadow color pigments
- Super-creamy, crease-free, and quick-drying
- Silky texture and strong concealing power
- 24-hour, waterproof, smudge-proof wear
- Controls oil and reduces skin dullness
Primers for Oily Skin – Eyeshadow Primers Perfect for Those Greasy Lids!
1. Elizabeth Mott Thank Me Later Eyeshadow Primer
- Lightweight, long-wearing, non-greasy primer
- The anti-crease formula conceals discoloration
- Enhances eyeshadow pigments to make colors look more vibrant
- No animal testing and free of harsh parabens
- Looks a bit chalky and dry
- Not easy to blend
For very oily lids, this Elizabeth Mott eyeshadow base/primer feels really good, is colorless, and dries quickly if you use a little bit. The holding capacity of this primer is easily 12 hours, which should be your typical day at work.
It’s an illuminating eyeshadow primer that forms a soft, smooth canvas. This way, your eye makeup receives a boost of natural glow.
And this formulation consists of hydrating ingredients like castor oil and pearl powder that prevent the creasing and smudging of your shadow. The need for constant touch-ups is also eliminated because of the long-lasting texture.
2. Maybelline New York Master Prime Eyeshadow Base
- Smooth-textured, matte finish primer
- Long-lasting and pigment-enhancing
- Soft sponge applicator smoothly glides over the lids
- Some find the color too dark
Expect your eyeshadow to stay on for as long as 12 hours even if your skin is very oily with this super-affordable Maybelline New York Master Prime Eyeshadow Base.
This is the Prime Plus Matte color option (Prime Plus Smooth and Prime Plus Illuminate are also available). For slick, oily eyelids, a matte finish like this seems perfect. The smooth-textured base, no doubt, is the most agreeable thing about it.
Moreover, the product is shaped like lip gloss and that, obviously, is deliberately done for easy, quick, convenient application. Just one swipe and a little bit of blending using the sponge applicator for an even, precise application.
3. Revlon Colorstay Eyeshadow Primer
- Smooth, silky texture with no grease
- 24-hour wear prevents creases
- Formulated with shea butter to boost skin moisture
- Suitable for all skin tones
- Thick consistency takes a while to dry
Even though this primer formula contains skin-softening and hydration-boosting shea butter, it has a non-greasy texture. So don’t expect that irritating sticky feel just because the primer contains shea butter. Rather it makes the texture of the product very, very silky for keeping your eye makeup smooth all day long despite oily skin.
It’s an affordable primer by the way, Revlon is indeed a budget-friendly brand. And you don’t even have to think about factors like your skin tone because Colorstay works on every skin tone.
4. theBalm Put A Lid On It Eyelid Primer
- A crease-free primer in a tube (easy to squeeze)
- Takes only a minute to dry
- Brightens eyeshadow color (increases its staying power)
- Feels slightly heavy on the lids
- Not the most suitable for sensitive skin
You can now keep a check on your oily eyelids as well on your eyeshadow using this Put A Lid On It Primer by theBalm. Its quick-drying and light reflective properties are truly unique in that the former boosts the staying power of your shadow and the latter boosts its brightness and boldness.
Even those with crazy oily lids have used and kept coming back to this skin-smoothing, crease-free primer. At the end of your day, your eyelids certainly don’t look oily again and your eye makeup (shadow + liner) remains intact.
5. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
- Creamy-textured, base-nude primer
- Polymer technology prevents fading and creasing
- Glides on very smoothly
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Thick, heavy consistency
- Very small tube
Your face doesn’t necessarily need to be oily for you to choose this creamy Eyeshadow Primer Potion by Urban Decay. Sometimes the lids, despite not being oily, just don’t hold makeup. So you’re always on the lookout for long-lasting, smudge-proof formulas, right? In that case, welcome this one with open eyelids and arms!
The texture makes your lids feel smooth, so the eyeshadow color stays put for the whole day. That’s actually what happens when you use a creamy primer. Just a teeny-tiny amount is enough, and you can use that alone as a base or you could blend it with the shadow you’re going to apply.
And Urban Decay made it all better by infusing it with polymer technology for the most flawless crease-free eye makeup.
6. SmashBox Photo Finish Shadow Primer
- Long-lasting formula glues eyeshadow to lids
- Crease-resistant, sweat-resistant, and water-resistant
- 24-hour wear with no smudging/fading
- Enhances color pigments of eyeshadow
- Difficult to blend due to too thick texture
No matter your eyeshadow color, this SmashBox Photo Finish Primer will keep it on all day long, despite oily skin, sweat, and watery eyes.
But that’s not the best part yet. This primer is better known for its ability to bring out the colors of your most favorite eyeshadow. It enhances those pigments of the shadow to make your eyes really pop. And these super-bright eyes even stay like that throughout the day.
One of the ingredients added is kaolin clay, which performs the task of absorbing excess oil from the skin. This way, your oily lids are also kept in check.
7. MAEPEOR Matte Eyeshadow Primer
- Hypoallergenic, oil-free eyeshadow primer
- Smooth, lightweight consistency evens out complexion
- Long-lasting, sweat-proof, and crease-proof
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Takes time to dry after application
Super-pigmented, so this eye primer can be a part of the steps you take to make your eyeshadow look more pigmented. It’s very easy and quick to blend as well, no matter what color eyeshadow you choose.
You can use it for when you put eyeshadow under your eyes too, so it even goes in the under-eye region to make sure your shadow doesn’t crease up there as well.
Light, creamy texture ensures smooth, even application. Polymer technology is added for crease-free results. And the fact that the formula is oil-free and waterproof makes it even more suitable for oily skin. The matte effect is also a huge plus for those with oily lids!
8. True + Luscious Angel Eyes Eyeshadow Primer
- Matte primer made for sensitive and oily skin
- Lightweight, smooth texture that’s ultra-blendable
- Vegan and infused with only natural ingredients
- Highly emollient, hence glides over skin very smoothly
- Not the most crease-resistant
First of all, this eye makeup primer looks super-flattering on almost every skin tone. So even if you’re using a cool toned eyeshadow palette or a whole other spectrum of warm colors, it doesn’t really matter because this Angel Eyes primer will complement all shades. It’s available in three colors – Light, Medium, and Dark.
Second of all, it’s a 100-percent VEGAN product. Vegan makeup is always such a struggle to find, especially something so specific as an eyeshadow primer that’s suitable for oily lids. So it’s a huge relief knowing that the brand offers vegan, paraben-free, and cruelty-free formulations.
The lightweight, smooth feel is just what your eyelids deserve. And with that, your skin also deserves to be well taken care of despite applying makeup. So for that, True + Luscious has enriched its eye primer with natural botanicals and plant-derived ingredients, such as rose extracts for calming skin. So no irritation in and around your eyes during and after application.
9. SAAT Crease-Free Eyeshadow Makeup Primer
- Super-blendable, smudge-proof eyeshadow primer
- Long-lasting, waterproof, and lightweight
- Full coverage, smoothing effect even on oily lids
- Hydrates and improves skin elasticity
- Applicator included (flocked wand) for controlled application
- Doesn’t make eyeshadow color more vivid
It’s more like a pore-minimizing primer serum that moisturizes and hydrates the delicate skin around the eyes to make them look plumper and younger. It has a very creamy texture that feels almost oily at first but once you apply it, and it very easily glides on and blends into the skin, the primer dries rather quickly for full coverage and a smoothing effect.
If you’ve tried just too many brands for a primer that’s not difficult to blend into your skin without feeling or looking blotchy while also nixing those creases, this crease-free formula might seem like a huge relief.
It’s lightweight, waterproof, and keeps your oily lids under control!
10. NANASO Matte Eyeshadow Primer
- Light, matte eyeshadow primer
- 24-hour, crease-free wear
- Waterproof formula with moisturizing ingredients
- Cruelty-free, vegan, and sensitive-skin-friendly
- A little difficult to remove
- Takes a long time to dry
If your eyelids are very oily and you can’t get any primer to prevent creasing plus you have very sensitive skin, it’s time to switch to this mattifying eyeshadow primer that holds up for hours, crease-free and irritation-free. No more eyeshadow fading off from your lids either!
And you can even apply creamy shadows without worrying about your eyelids becoming oily. The texture is very light yet the primer intensifies the color pigments of the eyeshadow to make your eyes pop.
And you get to choose from six different shades depending on your skin tone and personal preferences. But no matter what color you pick, the primer is going to be creamy, long-lasting, sweat-proof, and waterproof.
11. LOKFAR 2 Pack Matte Eyeshadow Primer
- Super-creamy primer for color-popping eyeshadow
- Quick-drying and full-coverage concealing
- Skin-friendly, long-lasting, and smudge-proof
- Available in 6 different shades (all cruelty-free)
- Blending into eyelids is a task
This primer is such that you can layer over it whichever and how many ever shadow colors you want and it still holds. Its highly creamy texture makes way for creating both conventional and the most exotic eye makeup designs. In fact, the primer helps those colors and their vibrancy really stand out.
As for how it goes on, the application part is super-easy. And once it glides on, the primer, because of its polymer technology, keeps your makeup crease-free around your eyes. The formula also conceals fine lines and wrinkles. So those bright eyeshadow colors look fresher and more pigmented for a much longer time than usual.
And then, of course, the primer is waterproof, smudge-proof, and sweat-proof. Even the level of coverage is very, very impressive.
Do I Apply Primer On My Lids Before Eyeshadow?
Oily lids or not, always begin your eye makeup with an eyeshadow primer first. The primer formula is great for setting up a smooth base when it’s blended evenly, so the eyeshadow, during the day, doesn’t crease and just remains in place.
How to Make Sure Eyeshadow Stays On Oily Eyelids?
When you have oily lids, eyeshadow is most likely to look creased after a point. So to avoid these creases, the most effective thing to do is use an eyeshadow primer all over the eyelid.
Then many women also put eyeshadow base (cream or matte), which works much like a primer but its main job is to intensify shadow color.
You can also follow up by dusting your lids using some translucent powder. However, this particular step should be a part of your eye makeup routine only when working with powdered eyeshadows, not cream-based ones.
How to Prime Eyelids Without Using A Primer?
Some of the best eyeshadow primer alternatives include concealer (lightweight, long-lasting), highlighter (makes eyeshadow look more pigmented), white liner pencil (light, smooth base prevents creases), aloe vera gel (oil-free moisturizing properties), and lip gloss (keeps eyeshadow in place).
Can I Use A Normal Primer On Eyelids?
Eyeshadow primers or eye primers are mostly cream-based formulations that are super-blendable. A regular primer will not be able to give you this kind of effective longevity. But with eyeshadow primers, your eye makeup is most likely to stay put for hours without creasing, fading, etc.
How Do I Apply Eyeshadow Primer On Oily Lids?
When you have oily eyelids, you want to make sure you’re doing everything right when it comes to keeping that grease in check. So here’s how to apply eyeshadow primer on oily lids…
- Cleanse your face using a gentle formula. Don’t forget to wash those eyelids too!
- Pat the face dry with a clean towel. Then apply your face toner and then a moisturizer (make sure it’s oil-free).
- Now it’s time to put on the primer using your fingers or an applicator (doe-foot) or concealer brush. Blend the formula all over your eyelid very lightly and evenly.
- Apply a layer of eyeshadow base. Many women use BB cream instead of the base.
- Then brush some translucent powder over your lid.
- The smooth, evenly-toned base is now ready for eye makeup. When you prime and follow these steps, you end up using very little eyeshadow because what some of the best eye primers do is make the shadow colors look more vibrant.
Oily Eyelids Are A Nuisance, But They Can Be Dealt With!
In the end, I would only like to say that oily lids do indeed crease, fade, and smudge eyeshadow and eye makeup in general. And that can be very annoying to deal with if you like dressing up your eyes for the day.
But the good news is that an oil-free, lightweight, non-greasy, and long-lasting primer can really be a great solution. Plus, these primers make sure that your shadow colors look more bright and vivid all day or night long!
24-hour wear is a part of most of the eyeshadow primers I’ve reviewed. In fact, many of them are also cruelty-free!